Friday, March 10, 2023

Snowy March

 

By Maine standards, February was light on snow. Not so March. The image on the left is of our door to the patio. Mind you, there are stairs down to the patio, so the snow is actually about 2 feet higher than in appears in this image! We haven't been able to use this door most of the winter, because not only does snow tend to blow this way, but the metal roof periodically drops a load as well; hence the pile. When the snow kerthunks off the roof, it also gets nicely packed, so moving this to allow an exit is completely impractical. That's especially true since John is now the sole snow shovel-er due to my back issues.

Jasper still gazes out the window from his bed. He can view the yard through a narrow slice to the left.

The snow has periodically made walking him tough. Right now it's melting. . .we've had temperatures in the 40's on several days. . .but it was recently belly high on him, so he couldn't do much. A couple of joyful leaps, and he's done! 

The walking has also been complicated by both John and I getting pretty sick. We aren't Covid positive, but the illness delivered a whopping head-full/sore throat combination. Thank goodness we didn't have any stomach issues.

Today was a beautiful clear blue sky day with a high of 41F. Really beautiful. More on that later. 

With the exception of a few sick days, I've been able to continue work in the studio. The latest project is a chickadee birdhouse. I researched it enough to find out where the entry hole should be, how big it should be, and what other features are useful, including ventilation holes and a removable bit that I can use to clean it out. It was an amazingly fun project, though it turned out to be a little more complicated than I expected.  The image to the right is greenware still. . . it's in the kiln firing to bisque as I type. I'm thinking of keeping the colors pretty neutral. . .no brilliant fuchia for the chickadees. I'll probably add some color to the appliques. I'm also working on a door knob for our new pocket door in the main bedroom, which I've just learned is no longer referred to as the "Master Bedroom".  That is proving to be a very fun project. It's a very small canvas, which is my favorite kind!

And getting back to the beauty of today, Check out the video taken on today's walk. John and I are both feeling better, and looking forward to a small vacation to the south next week. I expect that's when the Maine weather will decide that spring Might Just Come!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!