Friday, April 21, 2023

Spring Weather, Maine style

Jasper and I were finally able to hike French Mountain today, after a couple of months when the trails on it were ice flows. They are melted and clear, and surprisingly un-muddy. John, and some Mainers, talk about a mud season here, but we haven't seen it in the two springs since we've been here. More like Mud week.

So to the left is the first view of Long Pond from the trail. I love that this trail sort of runs around the top edge of the mountain (which is really a big hill by Western standards), so you get a continuous and changing view of the lake for quite some time. I was reminded today that one of things I most love about Maine is that these wonderful trails, cared for by volunteers like John and I, are often uncrowded. Today I was the only person parked in the lot. That combination of solitude and community coming together is worth so much. Even worth the long and icy winters. At least so far.

Jasper is at his best on these hikes. While he sort of loafs around the house most of the day, and is reluctant to follow me around the yard (which is what all of our past dogs did), he seems to have endless energy on a not-too-hot not-too-icy/snowy day. Yep. He's a little finicky about his weather too. I think it's the been-there-done-that of a ranch dog. He has definitely evolved into an "indoor dog" in his dotage.

Though I think he could go at that dog trot all day. This hike is shorter than I'd like on a beautiful day like today, so I need to remember to bring tea and biscuits the next time. Odd how I never think to take the time for that, even now that I can.


Lest I wax too starry eyed about life here in Central Maine, I'll include a couple of photos from 8 days ago. (!) This is our back yard. Not only is there still snow on the ground, but check out that grass. It's been under a foot or more of snow for a few months, and yes. It looks a lot worse for wear. I was sort of stunned by this last year, thinking we were going to have to re-seed the entire half acre. But it did, and will recover. In fact, even today it looks decent, and in two weeks, it will look like our normal "lawn", which is always a mixed bag of species. The snow is also a mixed bag. While it stresses the grass by covering it for so long, it also protects it, and other low plants, from the coldest temperatures.

The only plant that was seriously thriving 8 days ago was this creeping thyme, which I planted between stepping stones last year. It was sort of limping along last year, but was full on early this spring. I'm hoping that other freshly planted perennials (including my raspberries!) will do the same. I'm hoping that last year they were focused on root production, and this year they'll start to put some energy into shoots. And of course, flowers and berries. Eat. Survive. Reproduce. Yay.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!