Sunday, May 26, 2024

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. . .



see me if you can. . .

My alert consort found this when he took out the compost today. Can you see it? I couldn't at first. He was attracted by the trilaterally symmetrical leaves, thinking we had missed a Trillium. But no. Two Jack-in-the-Pulpit flowers are living by our compost and brush pile, just off the edge of the cultivated property. Can you believe it?!? Right in front of our noses. What else might we be missing? Welcome, small beautiful things. Now I'm wondering if Trillium and Jack-in-the-Pulpit are related. . .

There is a lot of other excitement in the yard, of course. Blueberries are in full bloom, as are the Lilys of the Valley, the Weeping Crab apple is just finishing up her reproductive display, as are the real apples (Malus domestica), and the Peach (Prunus persica). Sorry about the Latin names. It's nice to know they're still in my brain.

sorrel and kale from the garden
 

 

 

As I am still limited in movement, I asked J to bring in some kale and sorrel for tonight's salad as well as a bunch of rhubarb for a pie. I can hardly bear to look at that wonderful rhubarb without using some if it. I love how rhubarb looks like some kind of exotic African plant with those huge leaves and their wonky flowers. 


Rhubarb

I guess I should take a picture of the pie. Not my prettiest by any means, and I had to go lay down after I made the crust. What a weenie.


Apples post bloom
It's hard to tell how much fruit set I have on the apples just yet. I'm hopeful. The bumble bees have been major players every day I've been out, though as usual, we see few honey bees.

Fledgling peach

But I'm pretty sure I see a peach on the residue of the peach flower. . .

Lily of the Valley flowers are hard to see, but their smell whops one upside the head as one walks past. 

 



 

Blueberry flowers with developing fruit

 

 


The blueberries deserve documentation. Such delicate flowers. And the bees love them. There is also visible fruit developing in that last image, so we'll have blueberries this year, if we can beat the chipmunks to them.



Two beauties to finish up with. First are the Double File Viburnums, which I oddly want to call "Rank Viburnums". Not a great subsitution. . .makes them sound like they're stinky, which they most definitely are not! In the foreground, the Siberian Iris are threatening to upstage them, but they are conveniently next-in-line-to-bloom, and don't offer any real competition. This makes me so grateful for the planters of this garden. We've added a lot to the house, but the fundamental structure of the gardens and the perennials are all due to the first owners of this place.

Mary's Yellow Iris

To the right is my first Siberian Iris of the Year. This is one that my friend, M, gave me. Pretty sure, since it's Yellow. And earlier than the purples by the Viburnum.

Rhubarb. Nicely delineates the edge of the yard
Ok. I can't resist one last image. Rhubarb. Food for the eyes and the belly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!