Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Full Swing

 

Harvest 14 August 2024 (except bananas)
So. This morning's harvest (minus the bananas, but plus some blueberries that went right into the freezer) is shown here. Yes! The peaches are coming in. The evidence of my inadequate peach thinning is clear from the small peach size, but they are tasty, and will be a nice size for canning. 

Notice that the fall-bearing raspberries are just beginning. My favorite. And the sauce in the bowl is my beloved Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce. The first batch.

The tomato crop is not promising, unfortunately. Late blight (I think) has come early, and the visible crop is light, especially on the Early Girls. My lovely consort and spouse reminds me that we still have a couple of months of harvest to go, so I'm hoping that this prediction will prove wrong. After all, it is the things you worry about that don't come about, while it's the things you never thought of that bite you in the butt. It can turn on a dime.

Great Pond from the top of French Mountain

On other positive topics, the weather has been breathtaking. Jasper and I made the drive to French Mountain, and not only was it cool and bright, but the deer flies have receded. Likely temporary, but let us enjoy it while we can.

Tree, sun and hawk

I keep meaning to bring a thermos of tea and some crumpets and dog biscuits so we can take a few minutes at the top to enjoy the view. Somehow I never remember to do that, though. I will endeavor to do better.

Morning hike=happiness
I'll try to be more mindful. And will sign off after this short entry because I'm tired and it's summer, and the livin' is easy.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!