Sunday, October 13, 2024

Peak Leaf color. . .

We headed North late this week to hike along Little Moose Pond, close to Moosehead Lake and surrounds. Moosehead Lake is the headwater of the Kennebec River, so it's a pretty big deal. In truth, we're a little past peak leaf color. You can see in the photo to the left that there are a few deciduous trees that have already defoliated, but there it still plenty of color. These photos are not touched up, by the way.
The "pond" (they would call this a Lake in the West) is completely surrounded by the Appalachians. . .a wonderful mix of deciduous and coniferous trees. 

Even underfoot the color is remarkable. 

The color isn't limited to our excursions, though. Our backyard is full of color as well. . . I wake up to the image below.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also spent a little time in the garden this morning, tying back the raspberry canes to avoid lodging in the snow. . .premature, I know, but not THAT premature. . .

And I was able to harvest this small bouquet. The hydrangeas keep giving, and the hardier herbs, and even some basil, remain as gifts for the taking. The vase is a new design. I must have seen one like this somewhere (2 circles bowed out, with the top and the bottom slightly truncated), but I have no idea where.  And I just realized that I never photographed it for my collection. 

The highbush blueberries are a blazing red, and the surprise was that two of the small Korean lilacs also put on a show of red in the fall. Nice.

The temperatures have cooled considerably now. Mornings find us waking up snuggled under 2 extra wool blankets, and hurrying out of bed to slip on layers. I love it. For now, at least. Walks smell wonderfully fall (makes me think of walking around my old neighborhood at Halloween), and while I look forward to our first snow, I'm also feeling great ambivalence toward the weather. The climate. When we moved to Boise in 2000, we started looking forward to winter. We had just learned to ski, and it was a new Fun Thing. Now, as climate is giving us the extreme weather evens we deserve, I think of those folks in Florida without power. . .some likely for weeks. If I impose our version of wild weather. . . ice storms. . .over that, it's a grim picture indeed. We like to think we're prepared, but I know that if it's extreme, we're not. I have never chosen to live my life afraid, but this feeling is hard to shake. Stay warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!