Thursday, May 12, 2022

So what about the winter?


It's really spring here. Truly. Ferns are emerging. . . they don't sprout or germinate. The EMERGE, slowly unfolding themselves like ballerina's unbending from low and somber bows.  They are fascinating and primitive. Maine may be The Pine State, but ferns don't need to brag. Maine is also The Fern State. And the mushroom state, but that's for another post.

Given that we moved here in September, it's a shame that I don't have any images of winter. I will post some eventually, but it's taken me this long to actually figure out how to start a new online journal. I am definitely slower than I once was, but faster than I'll be, to paraphrase Paul Simon.

I just got my vegetable garden planted. Oddly, the frost dates for Oakland, Maine and Boise, Idaho are the same. . .May 15th. Ok. So I'm pushing it a little bit. Three days early.


I want to leave you with an iconic image that John shot. This is why I love this place. Woods, water, ferns and forests. There are a lot of other reasons, but given that I just figured out how to get this journal up and running (. . and yes. I hate the word "blog"), I'm going to get it posted and sleep well in the knowledge that I can once again share my world with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!