Sunday, May 29, 2022

What Luck.

We were noodling around the yard, and what did we find. Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, on the edge of our lawn these lovelies were making their voices heard. A substantial stand of Lily-of-the-Valley , with purple columbine poking through.

 Mind you, these images were taken after I gussied them up a bit. There were ferns and another plant-that-has-yet-to-be-named in amongst them.

 

 

I got up early today so I could weed them before the mosquitos and black flies realized there was fresh meat to be had. I then remembered that when we vacationed in Maine, 30-some years ago, I had been shocked to realize that I needed a sweatshirt in the morning. In July. What a place.


 

The black flies have been a problem, make no mistake. I have had to accept that deet is required if I want to be out and about after 9:30a or so. And I will adapt. I told John that I have become a person who needs to shower before bed (and after "work"), rather than a shower-in-the-morning type. I can't bear the idea of going into clean sheets with deet on my skin, so I'll shower just before bed. It will work. And I am so in love with this place.

 

 

There are also other goings-ons. The rhododendrons are in full bloom. All are this fushia color that is not my favorite, but who can argue with this exhuberance?
And there are other goings ons.

The Double File Viburnums ( Viburnum plicatum tomentosum) are showing off. The folks who planted the garden here showed incredible good sense. We have seen these Viburnums planted singly, and honestly, they look a little lost. But these were planted en mass, and they look like they're singing in a choir. No, roaring at a rock concert, I think. Oh my.

Our Highbush (cultivated) blueberries are also in bloom, though almost done. Only 2 of the 6 plants will have any fruit this year, but I'm hoping to encourage them all (water, fertilizer, weeding, pruning) to make a go of it next year.


The Ranunculus  are slowing down now. I thought they were also called anemone, but my foray into wikipedia does not confirm that. They make wonderful cut flowers. I've had one in an Ikebana arrangement for a week, and it still is holding up decently.

Ok. Now. I told you that I would talk about the downsides of this place. And they all, so far, have to do with insects and ticks. The legendary black flies are pretty awful. I had hoped that since we didn't live TOO close to running water, where they breed, that we'd be ok in the backyard. Not so. And while I don't have a terrible reaction to them (no swelling to tennis-ball-sized welts), I do get a nasty bite from them, that usually comes to a head and weeps. 

Next, of course, is the mosquito. I've always been a mosquito trap crop, and while getting old and tough may have eased that a bit, I'm still a target. John is grateful. 

The good news is that Deet and paramethrin really do deter them. There is so much that is wonderful about this place, that I am more than willing to try to adapt.

The Brown Tail Moth was a bit of bad news that we didn't need. It turns out that we're in a hot spot for them. While they eat leaves (Oaks being at the top of their list), their spines drift in the wind. If they land on a person, they cause a terrible poison-ivy like rash. So I've been a bit skittish about them. We had our 60+ foot oaks sprayed (nests in the upper branches were visible), and I'm resting a little easier. At least in my backyard. Brown Tail Moth and ticks, have been the big Climate Change Bonus for Maine. It makes me so sad.

The last bit is about ticks. They are truly terrible right now. We've had a good bit of rain, and temperatures have been warm, though not hot. Long time Mainers tell me that it didn't used to be this way. They didn't used to have this plethora of ticks. We're learning the trails to avoid during this wet season, and of course Jasper is well protected, between his tick-o-cide (orally, once every 3 months), and his Lyme vaccine. Maybe we should try to protect humans likewise? What a concept.

In closing this post, I will answer "No. I don't regret moving here. At least, not yet." I have always loved being outside, but working on this particular 5 acres, and living in this particular house is a joy I have never experienced before. I hope you can visit some time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!