Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Moving along toward Summer

Hummingbird click-bait
Not being able to do much has its advantages. I wandered around the garden on this distinctly summer day (80's, hot sun), and photographed What's Next. The Honeysuckle variety on the left is on an arbor by our patio. She brings hummingbirds, but I was surprised to find that a Ruby-throated Hummingbird also spent a good bit of time visiting our Siberian Iris. I was on the other side of the window, so I got a very good look at her/him flitting from one blossom to the next. I didn't grab my phone, so I don't have an image. I did, however, take a picture in my mind.

Siberian iris, blueberries, rhododendrons

 

 

 

 

 

 

My Friend Mary bequeathed a number of perennials to me a couple of years ago, and I wanted to include some images of them for all to enjoy.

I have previously been unfamiliar with Forget-Me-Nots. I know. Crazy that a plantsman/gardener would not know them, but there I was. Ignorant as a newborn. 

Forget-me-not. Do not underestimate me.

 

 

I have since been impressed with not only the beauty of their delicate flowers, but also with their take-no-prisoners attitude. These little beauties think nothing of going toe-to-toe with lawn, ferns, and creeping thyme. And they don't lose. At worst, they hold their ground, but more often than not they take new territory.



Forget-me-nots spreading out

Mary also brought some Yellow Siberian Iris as well as Marsh Marigold (another plant I was unfamiliar with). She warned me that the latter could be invasive, so I put them in less than ideal conditions. They're surviving, but I'm thinking I may have to move them to a more amenable place at some point.

Marsh Marigolds along the side, iris behind the rock
In general, plants are not impatient. They may not thrive, but they generally survive a lot of less-than-ideal conditions. And forests. I am just starting to glean how one manages a forest. But while experienced woodlot owners emphasize that starting sooner will get a woodlot on better footing faster, they also confess that the forest isn't going anywhere. Well, except from fire, global warming, etc. But I won't go there today. The forest will be there tomorrow. Next month. Likely next year. Likely long after I move on.

Cornus kousa Let the show begin
On the other hand, growing a garden is all about timing. When you select the site and prepare the soil. When you start your plants. How soon you remove weeds. . .an easy hoeing early on avoids a dastardly day of weed pulling later. And lets the plants you are growing thrive rather than just hang on. Yes and No. Timing, procrastination. You don't have to garden for long for these things to become obvious.

Cornus kousa, Japanese dogwood

Other sharables:

One amazing Lupine

I'll try to get a better image of the Japanese dogwood later. But you can see that she's donning her party clothes. Now, if only we can have a garden party. . .


The Lupines, below, were planted by the previous owners. Thank you. They are both magnificent and wonky. Perfect.


Dwarf Lilac
Likewise, the Dwarf Lilacs are in full throat now. Their bloom follows their larger cousin, so we get that seductive smell for several weeks.

And that's the picture from the recovery ward. Be well.




 



 

1 comment:

  1. Aromas of bread AND lilacs...! What a glorious life at Highland Drive!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments here!