Monday, September 9, 2024

September by any other name is. . .


Jasper and I in shadow on top of French Mountain
Fall. Time for fall planting. An uptick in Fall storage for the winter. Planning for winter. But in usual form, the weather is just beautiful. Bright sun but not too hot, cool nights. Jasper loves his walks again. So do I. 

So as busy as the garden is, we took a hike up French Mountain last week. The weather was perfect. Jasper was his pranciest Danciest self (which is pretty prancy/dancy. . .Jasper walks like a dressage horse when he's feeling spicey), and the air has just started to smell like Fall.

Lowbush Blueberries (Vaccinium angustifolium)
Summer used to be my favorite season, but with the increasing heat I've downshifted to Fall. I am noticing so many of these lowbush blueberries this year. You would think that the berry expert would have picked up on this sooner, but I've even noticed them along our driveway, which I walk along every day. 

The view of Great Pond from above
Our highbush blueberries really are finally done. As with the green beans, it's been a long extended season. I took out the regular tomatoes today, along with the zucchini plants. The former are just suffering too much, and their remaining crop will ripen as well on my counter as they will hanging from their nearly dead hosts. The zucchini really came into their own, but I have run out of freezer space and folks to give it too. It feels good to start the cleanup for the impending winter. And any excuse to be outside is a good one.
Jasper
The view from the top of French Mountain is hard to do justice in a photograph, but the above is a rough approximation. And of course, another image of my sweet Jasper finishes up this abbreviated post.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!