Saturday, September 28, 2024

The Summer Leaf Series

 

I didn't spend much time in the studio this summer. . .between recovery (No Potting For You!) and the business of the growing season, there just wasn't much time. But as usual, I couldn't resist picking up leaves, twigs, and other bits as I walked with Jasper, and they somehow, in small moments, transform themselves into little bowls.

This technique isn't as easy as it looks. There are a lot of details, and of course glazing is always an issue for me.


I glazed the second grape leaf bowl with a combination of a matt and an iridescent green glaze. Also a sweet piece. A nice surprise that even without feet added to the bottom, these are really quite stable. They are 6-7: from rim to rim, so they're a nice size for serving small delights.


I found this huge oak leaf in our driveway, prematurely downed, though the leaves are really starting to both color and fall now. I think it makes a nice, if not conventional, dish.

I thought this was a leaf from a striped maple, but in fact, since it's from a shrubbery, it's more likely a viburnum. You'd think that someone with my education would know for sure! Anyway, it's the largest of those listed above, and again, makes for a sweet bowl. I'm not terribly happy with the glaze on this one, but the veins are nicely emphasized.

Above is another rhubarb leaf platter. . .my third. Unfortunately, early successes are are often hard to repeat. You can see a nasty split  along the middle vein where the clay separated when fired. You bake some and you burn some. I'm thinking of having a wall of despair that showcases these abject failures. . .

And to the right is the last of my summer work. A thrown mug that I slip-trailed. Again, the glaze doesn't thrill me, but the slip trailing is way fun, and allows for all sorts of decorative additions, much like applique. "Decorative" is the worst thing a fine arts major can call an object, but I'll own it. Smile.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!