Sunday, September 22, 2024

The Equinox come and gone. . .

 

How did that happen? My original title for this post was "The Equinox cometh. . " and here we are post equinox. All things being equal (ha ha),it's ok. Fall is really pulling out all of the stops this year, and I feel like I'm never coming close to being caught up. It's hard not to see the beauty around us, though. The impending election makes me waver between hope and despair, but if I just keep my eyes on the now, I'm good. We're down to a few eggplant, a few cherry tomatoes, raspberries and the last of the apples, so the end of the harvest is in sight. I seem genetically predisposed to NOT  WASTING ANYTHING, and this is proving a disadvantage as my energy levels are well below what they once were. My challenge for next year is to figure out how to have less. Odd, isn't it?

But! Some images from both hikes and garden are in order.

Hiking: Jewel weed (also called Touch-me-nots) because their little seed pods pop when touched, distributing the seeds.

 

 

Another feral aster. Blues, pinks and purples all grow together. No reds, though. Ha.

Sumac is one of the first reds to appear in the woods, though the maples are also coloring, and the ash are adding their gold-yellow to the mix.


Very sweet mushrooms growing out of the
knot of a tree.

 

 

 

Offers from the garden:


Fall Flowers

Cultivated Asters
Asparagus ferns
Apples: Macoun, I think.

Hydrangeas were amazing this year


Daylillies blooming well past their sell-by date

Eggplant: Outrageously beautiful


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here!